[Home ] [Archive]    
:: Main :: About :: Current Issue :: Archive :: Search :: Submit :: Contact ::
:: Volume 5, Issue 4 ( Autumn 2018) ::
Environ. health eng. manag. 2018, 5(4): 221-229 Back to browse issues page
Organoleptic and palatability properties of drinking water sources and its health implications in Ethiopia: a retrospective study during 2010-2016
Sisay Derso Mengesha , Abel Weldetinsae, Kirubel Tesfaye, Girum Taye
Corresponding Author:Environmental Health Research Team, Ethiopian Public Health Institute, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia , sisdres23@yahoo.com
Abstract:   (607 Views)
Background: This retrospective study aimed to investigate the physicochemical properties of drinking water sources in Ethiopia and compare the water quality with the health-based target. For this purpose, the water quality database of Ethiopian Public Health Institute (EPHI) from 2010 to 2016 was used.
Methods: The concentration and other properties of the water samples were analyzed according to the Standard Methods of Water and Wastewater analysis. Quality control and quality assurance were applied in all stages following our laboratory standard operation procedures (SOPs).
Results: The concentration of the selected parameters varied based on the type of water sources. The mean concentration of turbidity was higher in spring water (21.3 NTU) compared to tap (12.6 NTU) and well (3.9 NTU) water sources. The mean concentration of total dissolved solids (TDS), electrical
conductivity (EC), sodium (Na+), and sulfate (SO4-2) was found to be higher in spring water sources than tap and well water sources. Comparably, the concentration of hardness, calcium, and magnesium was found to be higher in well water sources than spring and tap water sources. The bivariate analysis indicated that out of 845 analyzed water samples, more than 50% of the samples from Oromia region had turbidity, pH, TDS, hardness, Ca++, K+, and Na+ within an acceptable limit. In addition, the logistic regression analysis showed that water quality parameters were strongly associated with the type of water sources and regional administration at P < 0.05.
Conclusion: More than 80% of the samples analyzed from drinking water sources were in agreement with WHO guidelines and national standards. However, the remaining 20% specifically, pH (25%), calcium (20%), hardness (18.1%), TDS (15.5%), and turbidity (13.3%) analyzed from improved water
sources did not comply with these recommendations. Due to objectionable or unpleasant taste, people may force to look for alternative unprotected water sources that lead to health concerns.
Keywords: Drinking water, Water quality, Water sources, Taste, Physicochemical properties, Retrospective study, Ethiopia, Logistic models
eprint link: http://eprints.kmu.ac.ir/id/eprint/29807
Full-Text [PDF 552 kb]   (296 Downloads)    
Type of Study: Research | Subject: Special
Received: 2018/12/9 | Accepted: 2018/12/9 | Published: 2018/12/9
Send email to the article author

Add your comments about this article
Your username or Email:

CAPTCHA code



XML     Print


Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

Derso Mengesha S, Weldetinsae A, Tesfaye K, Taye G. Organoleptic and palatability properties of drinking water sources and its health implications in Ethiopia: a retrospective study during 2010-2016. Environ. health eng. manag.. 2018; 5 (4) :221-229
URL: http://ehemj.com/article-1-386-en.html


Volume 5, Issue 4 ( Autumn 2018) Back to browse issues page
مجله مدیریت و مهندسی بهداشت محیط Environmental Health Engineering And Management Journal
Persian site map - English site map - Created in 0.05 seconds with 32 queries by YEKTAWEB 3876